Don’t you just love the smell of autumn? For me autumn smells of woodsmoke, damp leaves, ripe fruits… and cinnamon spice!
This sugar is called “Bratapfel” spice, which means roasted apple spice… and it is the perfect mixture for autumn apple dishes. A mix of golden sugar, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla. When I opened the jar the sweet aroma whispered to me… “applecakeapplecakeapplecakeapple…”
I needed little persuasion…
Spicy Apple Cake
- 250g (2 cups) plain flour
- 100g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 55g (1/4 cup) butter, melted and cooled a little
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 2 heaped cups chopped peeled apples (in my case three smallish apples)
- 2 tbsps brown sugar mixed with a little cinnamon, OR 2 tbsps Bratapfel sugar
Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and baking soda in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the apples.
Pour batter into a greased 20 x 20cm (8×8 inch) pan. Sprinkle top with Bratapfel sugar or brown sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.